REZISTANCE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead

+8
Cecil
Sakaki
Mudman
Gobb
StormChazer
DR. HEXTZ
Sunspots
Medik
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead Empty ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead

Post  Medik Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:46 am

Anyone play this? I picked it up off steam cause I've been super bored looking for something to play. It seems like a game that I could probably enjoy more if I understood all the things I was doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olEt30pd6o0&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCKsThlbwWE&feature=related

Some random vids I found.
Medik
Medik
OFFICER

Back to top Go down

ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead Empty Re: ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead

Post  Sunspots Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:31 pm

Insanely awesome graphics, I doubt my computer would ever be able to run this.
Sunspots
Sunspots
OFFICER

Back to top Go down

Post  DR. HEXTZ Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:54 pm

Wow that is some realistic gameplay. The sniper video is awesome, you have to aim above the target the farther you are just like in real life. The graphics are good aswell but I already spent too much on DC.
DR. HEXTZ
DR. HEXTZ
RIGHT HAND OF GOD

Back to top Go down

Post  StormChazer Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:11 pm

I wish I had bought this when this was rly cheap on Steam.
too bad I couldn't cuz I was in Spain.
StormChazer
StormChazer
Gunpowder Sniffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Medik Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:28 pm

Ya the game does have really good graphics, specially for a game that came out in 09. (Has been like 3-4 expansions I believe). I don't even play the story mode just cause its to confusing for me sometimes lol. I play multi player, which is fun but the movements of characters are kind of rigged like Cs 1.6 (not hating on Cs, love it). Also not a huge deal but no ragdoll kinda a downer for me. Other then that its a great game.
Medik
Medik
OFFICER

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobb Sun May 22, 2011 6:01 am

seems arma 3 is coming out later this year
Gobb
Gobb
G-King'z Dealer

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/kyubey

Back to top Go down

Post  Mudman Sun May 22, 2011 2:18 pm

Me and Catho have the game and played for a while after RTW-APB died.
Nice game, still have it installed but havent played mutch, not mutch time to play lately.
Mudman
Mudman
Gunpowder Sniffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:08 am

I've played Arma for about 10 years (back then it was still called Operation Flashpoint before Codemasters screwed Bohemia over and stole the name for that shit they call a sequel), one of my favourite games, but yeah, it's super deep and can be baffling if you don't know what you are doing. I've tried to get people into it before and they've just ended up uninstalling it because it confuses them too much. I'd be glad to give you a crash course.

One thing that is worth knowing is that the normal game isn't what makes it great. The campaign is crap and buggy and the multiplayer maps are rubbish. Mods are what makes the game worthwhile. They can turn an already decent game into the most epic multiplayer ever.

Do you only have Operation Arrowhead or do you have the full game as well? Also what's the clans policy on piracy :-/ Dunno how you guys feel about it but if you only have Operation Arrowhead I can show you how to get the rest of the game working online and if anyone doesn't have it and wants to try it I can show you how to get it working on a VPN, but I'll wait until I know it's ok to post that kind of thing here.

One thing I would say is that probably want to try it out before you buy it because it is definitely an acquired taste. A lot of people will hate things that I absolutely love about it. For example if you are driving around in a T72 and another player has an Apache, its not like Battlefield, where you can fight the chopper with the tank. The Apache can lock and hit you with a hellfire from 5km away, you wont even see it and you'll be dead. Whether you find that kind of thing exciting or annoying is pretty much what Arma is all about.

Anyway, give me a shout if you want to play.
Sakaki
Sakaki
AKs, Sex and Chips!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:23 am

Actually it's worth noting if you aren't familiar with Arma that nothing is scripted for effect, it's all simulated. For example in that first video, the artillery shells whistling through the air and the explosions and dust aren't just effects, they are actual shells being fired by players on the other team from a few km away. The burning tank on the road and the smoke in the distance isn't just eye candy, it's stuff that has been destroyed or set on fire during the fight.
Sakaki
Sakaki
AKs, Sex and Chips!

Back to top Go down

Post  Cecil Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:49 am

bought ARMA 2 from steam sale at one point, learning curve is like a freakin cliff side.
Cecil
Cecil
Gunpowder Sniffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:39 pm

Cecil wrote:bought ARMA 2 from steam sale at one point, learning curve is like a freakin cliff side.

Did you buy Arma 2 or Operation Arrowhead? Most annoying thing about Arma is their ridiculous rebranding of the same game. There's about a dozen different versions most of which don't work together online.

Arma 2 - The full original game
Arma 2 Free - A cut down version that's basically the full game but you can only run it with the graphics set at minimum.
Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead - An expansion pack, but it can be installed separately and runs as a standalone game
Arma 2 Combined Operations - Operation Arrowhead and Arma 2 bundled as installed as one game. Which means you can fly Harriers in Pakistan and drive Bradleys in Russia.
Arma 2 British Armed Forces - A DLC for which adds some units and a campaign
Arma 2 Private Military Company - Same as Above
Arma 2 Reinforcements - The two DLCs bundled together as an expansion pack, which can also be installed separately just for extra confusion
Arma 2 Gold - Arma and Arma 2 bundled together
Arma 2 Anniversary - All of the above in one big box.
Sakaki
Sakaki
AKs, Sex and Chips!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:50 pm

DR. HEXTZ wrote:Wow that is some realistic gameplay. The sniper video is awesome, you have to aim above the target the farther you are just like in real life. The graphics are good aswell but I already spent too much on DC.

If you use mods the sniping can get amazingly (or possibly unbearably) realistic.

Sakaki
Sakaki
AKs, Sex and Chips!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:53 pm

Some mostly unedited 50 player coop gameplay.

Sakaki
Sakaki
AKs, Sex and Chips!

Back to top Go down

Post  Dimitar Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:05 pm

Bought this game off steam but just could not get into it to save my life... its too much like a simulator than a game.
Dimitar
Dimitar
AKs, Sex and Chips!

http://conceptartbyliamyoung.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobb Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:39 pm

Dimitar wrote:Bought this game off steam but just could not get into it to save my life... its too much like a simulator than a game.

<.<

isnt that essntially what it is supposed to be?
Gobb
Gobb
G-King'z Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dimitar Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:06 pm

isnt that essntially what it is supposed to be?

Then why did it fall under the 'games' section then GOBB?! HMMM?! WHY?!
Dimitar
Dimitar
AKs, Sex and Chips!

http://conceptartbyliamyoung.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:13 pm

Dimitar wrote:Bought this game off steam but just could not get into it to save my life... its too much like a simulator than a game.

Well yeah, it is a simulator, but like I was saying you havn't really tried it if you just played the normal game. It's all about custom maps and mods.
Sakaki
Sakaki
AKs, Sex and Chips!

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobb Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:21 pm

i just played the first one... tried multi for a bit crashed a truck full of people into a tree then quit cus everyone raged at me Sad
Gobb
Gobb
G-King'z Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:44 pm

Gobb wrote:i just played the first one... tried multi for a bit crashed a truck full of people into a tree then quit cus everyone raged at me Sad

Arma is kinda odd in that respect. The amount of freedom it gives you means that it's kinda easy to totally ruin the game for other players and therefore the community is a little hostile to people who just jump straight into the multiplayer without knowing what to do.

For example on the coop missions it's generally considered bad form to use tanks or aircraft when people are trying to play infantry. For example if theres a whole squad of guys trying to clear a village on foot and then you come over with an A-10 and carpet bomb the whole town you are likely to be booted off the game.

You kinda need to limit yourself so as to not mess up the feel. Other examples would be dragging an artillery piece right up to the front lines and then shooting infantry in the face with it, doing WW2 style dive bombs with a Harrier and just dropping all your laser guided weapons without a target, or airlifting an ammo crate on top of a hill and then using a Javelin to take out an entire army of armour...all effective ways of getting kills, but kinda goofy looking and not in the spirit of simulated war.

Some servers take it too far though. The admins force you to RP, like asking for clearance for takeoff and not being allowed to break formation.
Sakaki
Sakaki
AKs, Sex and Chips!

Back to top Go down

Post  EasyEight Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:12 pm

Man, i used to have so much fun in this gameseries (and old operation flashpoint) by just setting up huge battles and then playing a civilian in the middle of it...

about as close to experiencing a real war as you can get really.

but i never did get into the multiplayer part of it (mainly because when i played OP flashpoint i didnt have good internet, and when i played ARMA i was just sick of multiplayer in general)

but i did try some serious multiplayer at a roleplaying convetion once. They had set up two groups in two different classrooms (the convention was at a highschool they had rented for a week during the summer) and they were fighting against eachother in a pre-made scenario with the two scenario designers as top commanders.
Everyone had headphones and mics and we were using different channels to communicate between squads and all that...
it was kinda awsome, even though we had more than our share of people just getting lost Razz

i personally got separated from my squad (i was MG) and had to fight against an entire enemysquad by myself in a lightly wooded area, i took out about 5 of them and halted their advance until they called in their APC to "clear out the resistance" hehe...
i talked to them after the game and apparantly my way of fighting them (fire, flank, fire, flank) had made them think they were up against at least 4-5 men so they got their BMP to just blanket the forest i was in with mg and autocannon fire hehehe... witch of course killed me, but still...
EasyEight
EasyEight
Double-B's Boyfriend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:50 am

Top 100 PC Games of All Time

It's better than Half Life, Dragon Age and Fallout...how can you people not be interested? >_<

Tim S: Arma 2 lets you mount a .50 cal tripod MG on the back of a cow then ride into battle. That’s really all you need to know.

^_^
Sakaki
Sakaki
AKs, Sex and Chips!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:38 pm

Project Reality (of Battlefield 2 fame) just released their mod for Arma 2. It rocks but it only has a handful of the features that the full thing is supposed to be getting. At the moment it mostly just a UI and logisitics mod, logistics being the non combat side of things, air lifting equipment, setting up bunkers and statics, moving sandbags around etc

Sakaki
Sakaki
AKs, Sex and Chips!

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurbain Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:29 pm

If you can give me a detailed tutorial of the game and tell which modifications I need to install, I will definitely try it out.
I've been interested in playing a military simulation for a long time and all that realism is really appealing to me. I just hope I don't get frustrated before understanding the game.
I usually don't mind steep learning curves that much, though.
Kurbain
Kurbain
Gunpowder Sniffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:20 pm

Kurbain wrote:If you can give me a detailed tutorial of the game and tell which modifications I need to install, I will definitely try it out.
I've been interested in playing a military simulation for a long time and all that realism is really appealing to me. I just hope I don't get frustrated before understanding the game.
I usually don't mind steep learning curves that much, though.

Arma isn't hard to play it's just very, very deep. You aren't going to instantly die because you don't know how to how to set the azimuth on an MLRS. I can definitely teach you the finer details that you need to know to use all the little hidden features but as long as you are reasonably good at normal FPSs you wont have too much trouble with the infantry combat.

The biggest issue Arma newbies have is friendly fire. There are no floaty indicators or easy way to see who is and isn't on your side (unless you play on rookie but then why play Arma? Razz), you just need to learn what all the different uniforms look like. Also if you use the advanced mods then you can kill people just by being careless. If you shoot an Abrams main gun when there is friendly infantry standing near the front of the tank you will kill them with over pressure (the shockwave caused by the gun firing) similarly if you fire an AT4 anti-tank launcher when someone is standing behind you, you will cripple them with the back blast.

If you are going to get it make sure you get Combined Operations (both games in a bundle) or you can get both Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead. Just don't get one or the other separately because all the good mods and maps need both games. And really, mods are the only reason to play Arma, because it's basically just a framework for making your own shit. You can pretty much do whatever the hell you want.

Stick in stuff from Stargate?

Fight Zombies?

Make the stuff from Stargate fight the zombies?

Random Battlestar Galactica?

Sakaki
Sakaki
AKs, Sex and Chips!

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobb Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:47 pm

im broke.. stop tempting me
Gobb
Gobb
G-King'z Dealer