REZISTANCE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tribes Ascend

5 posters

Go down

Tribes Ascend Empty Tribes Ascend

Post  Fraenir Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:05 am

Anyone else playing it? Got a key last night, pure awesomeness. Haven't seen gameplay this good since UT! Screw realism! All we need is a pair of jetpacks and skis Razz (oh and disc launchers too)
It seems there is hope for the future of FPSes still.
Fraenir
Fraenir
I like guns 'cause they're shiny!!

Back to top Go down

Tribes Ascend Empty Re: Tribes Ascend

Post  Gobb Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:26 am

no key...
Gobb
Gobb
G-King'z Dealer

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/kyubey

Back to top Go down

Post  Chasity Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:25 pm

Was planning on signing up for the beta to see if I got a key, but while I was writing the stuff they were asking for I came to the conclusion that I probably wouldn't play it to beta test it, merely to play it. So I didn't bother, but I shall be playing it once it comes out.
Chasity
Chasity
I named my AK Josefina

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurbain Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:34 pm

Looks too fast-paced for me.
How the hell are you supposed to hit enemies at those speeds?
I was relatively good in Quake and UT, but I don't think I would be able to hit anything in Tribes Ascend.
Kurbain
Kurbain
Gunpowder Sniffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:52 am

Kurbain wrote:Looks too fast-paced for me.
How the hell are you supposed to hit enemies at those speeds?

Skill? That's kind of the point of Tribes, it's not about who saw who first and pulled the trigger. It's about who is the best shot and the most tactical mover. One on one fights can often last minutes. Players are fast and projectiles are slow which makes hitting other people a real challenge and extremely satisfying.

You can either go for the mid air spinfuzor shot (the blue disc launcher) which is similar to trying to shoot down a chopper with an RPG in BF3 or hitting a plane with a tank in Arma, or you can try and do the timed shot where you wait for them to run out of jetpack fuel and start to fall then you fire a shot at the ground so that they land in the explosion before they can jump back into the air again.
Sakaki
Sakaki
AKs, Sex and Chips!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:59 am

Fraenir wrote:Anyone else playing it? Got a key last night, pure awesomeness. Haven't seen gameplay this good since UT! Screw realism! All we need is a pair of jetpacks and skis Razz (oh and disc launchers too)
It seems there is hope for the future of FPSes still.

I applied but didn't get an invite yet Sad I've been itching for a new Tribes game for years. I was absolutely gutted when the Tribes 1 re-release fell through.
Sakaki
Sakaki
AKs, Sex and Chips!

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobb Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:48 am

all i know about tribes is an article in what might be the first pc gamer magazine i ever got.. i drooled over that a bit..
Gobb
Gobb
G-King'z Dealer

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/kyubey

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurbain Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:03 am

Sakaki wrote:
You can either go for the mid air spinfuzor shot (the blue disc launcher) which is similar to trying to shoot down a chopper with an RPG in BF3 or hitting a plane with a tank in Arma, or you can try and do the timed shot where you wait for them to run out of jetpack fuel and start to fall then you fire a shot at the ground so that they land in the explosion before they can jump back into the air again.

Sounds more frustrating than anything, Quake and UT are also skill-based without making it so hard to hit others.
I'm not going to play a Quake-like game without my trusty railgun. Neutral
Kurbain
Kurbain
Gunpowder Sniffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fraenir Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:19 pm

Kurbain wrote:
Sakaki wrote:

Sounds more frustrating than anything, Quake and UT are also skill-based without making it so hard to hit others.

"you know nothing John Snow"

Just try the game Razz If you played UT and if you played Q3 you should be ready for tribes unless you've been playing halo for the past 10 years with a gamepad.
Fraenir
Fraenir

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:35 pm

Kurbain wrote:
Sakaki wrote:

There is a laser rifle that instant hits. It'll one shot a scout class. The payoff is that it uses your jetpack energy to fire. It'll only one shot if you have full energy and then you are grounded until it recharges.

This gives you a pretty good idea of what Tribes is all about...it's much less an FPS, much more a virtual sport. It plays more like a kind of bizarre sci-fi American football match...it's genius.

Sakaki
Sakaki
AKs, Sex and Chips!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fraenir Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:14 am

I recommend this video to everyone really but specially those who don't know what Tribes is.
Fraenir
Fraenir

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:16 am

Fraenir wrote:

I recommend this video to everyone really but specially those who don't know what Tribes is.

Some potentially disastrous changes to the game there :-/ Instant hit weapons, regenerating health, non customisable classes...pretty major facets of what makes Tribes, Tribes. Need to try it but it's not a good first impression.
Sakaki
Sakaki
AKs, Sex and Chips!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fraenir Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:18 pm

insta hit weapons are kinda bad Razz at least from what i've tried they'll only take out someone if they're really low hp you will NOT hit anyone that's moving fast enough and if you're indoors its more likely you'll be shot down by a spinfuser before you can kill anyone with rifles.

as for customization.. well it's still beta but you basically just customize the perks but no weapons Neutral you basically have different combinations of the same classes called something else

Solider \ Ranger : same class but one uses a spinfuser the other uses a rifle basically.

I'd say the options are there but they are monetizing them rather than allowing people to do them themselves.

I'm not a big fan but I don't really see it as gamebreaking as for health regen.. you only regenerate if if you've been out of combat for like 30secs-1min or so. It takes quite awhile for someone to start regenerating and it'll get interrupted if you get hit again.

What I'm most worried about is that the max I've seen so far was 20 vs 20 player battles.. I was hoping for epic sized tribes 2 battles Neutral
Fraenir
Fraenir

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:20 pm

Fraenir wrote:
I'm not a big fan but I don't really see it as gamebreaking as for health regen.. you only regenerate if if you've been out of combat for like 30secs-1min or so. It takes quite awhile for someone to start regenerating and it'll get interrupted if you get hit again.

It's not game breaking it's just game altering in a really bad way. Flag capping in Tribes was an art form. Getting the flag off the stand with minimal damage, choseing whether to spin-jump to get some ski speed up, realising when you were screwed and doing a last ditch throw back towards base.

Regenerating health totally ruins that chase dynamic. Take a mortor to the face when you picked up the flag? No worries, regen on the way back...Ski like a noob? Just rocket jump the whole way home. Really hope it doesn't make it to release.
Sakaki
Sakaki
AKs, Sex and Chips!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fraenir Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:01 pm

what? no front page for tribes ascend? Sad
Fraenir
Fraenir

Back to top Go down