REZISTANCE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sins of a Solar Empire

+4
Cecil
Ehlak
DR. HEXTZ
Dimitar
8 posters

Go down

Sins of a Solar Empire Empty Sins of a Solar Empire

Post  Dimitar Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:51 am

http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/

Anyone played/own this game?

Its about a year old so its not NEW new, i just downloaded it and its very stange but extremely addicitive and a pretty good game. Just took a punt at it and it was very worth it. I never heard of it before but many have said its "a hidden gem" in the RTS genre.

Just wondering if anyone else has played it? (and could possibly give me some tips because i keep getting my ass kicked on easy Razz )
Dimitar
Dimitar
AKs, Sex and Chips!

http://conceptartbyliamyoung.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Sins of a Solar Empire Empty Re: Sins of a Solar Empire

Post  DR. HEXTZ Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:31 pm

Not that hidden, at least I've heard of it and seen it on shelves, but yeah I've tried it and it doesn't live up to other titles I've played like the Warcraft series and star craft duos.
DR. HEXTZ
DR. HEXTZ
RIGHT HAND OF GOD

Back to top Go down

Post  Ehlak Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:04 pm

Tried it when it came out. Didn't like it. :/
Ehlak
Ehlak
What da fuck are you lookin' at?!

Back to top Go down

Post  Cecil Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:26 pm

it's one of those games you have to be prepeared to play around 10 - 20 hours for single game.
Cecil
Cecil
Gunpowder Sniffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobb Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:45 pm

i loved it when i tried it.. was just when it came out though
Gobb
Gobb
G-King'z Dealer

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/kyubey

Back to top Go down

Post  Dimitar Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:10 am

I probably enjoy it because its the only thing i can play at the moment... with my internet being near non-existent Evil or Very Mad Sad
Dimitar
Dimitar
AKs, Sex and Chips!

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaguya Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:36 pm

What, not a SoSE multiplayer thread? Sad

SoSE is awesome.
Kaguya
Kaguya
Gunpowder Sniffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:31 am

Dimitar wrote:http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/

Anyone played/own this game?

Its about a year old so its not NEW new, i just downloaded it and its very stange but extremely addicitive and a pretty good game. Just took a punt at it and it was very worth it. I never heard of it before but many have said its "a hidden gem" in the RTS genre.

Just wondering if anyone else has played it? (and could possibly give me some tips because i keep getting my ass kicked on easy Razz )

Hey Dimitar, give me a shout on mumble some time and I'll play some coop with you.
Sakaki
Sakaki
AKs, Sex and Chips!

Back to top Go down

Post  Dimitar Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:58 pm

Ok will do. i warn you tho, i are big big noob at it. most the time i have no idea what im doing. scratch that, its ALL the time.
Dimitar
Dimitar
AKs, Sex and Chips!

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaguya Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:29 pm

Doesn't really matter when co-op' against CPUs. Atleast it didn't matter when I played it coop with my buddy who had never touched the thing before Razz

Just upgrade to max strategic slots and build million beam turrets to the frontier planets and poop out ships on the rear ones. Send ships to enemy planets, profit.

Of course having a balanced mix of shiptypes helps immensely (especially capital ships and their special abilities), tho that requires some experience.
Kaguya
Kaguya
Gunpowder Sniffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurbain Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:07 am

You forgot the "???", Kaguya. Wink

Well, I recently found out about Sins of a Solar Empire as well and got quite excited about it, because it seemed like Warcraft 3/Supreme Commander IN SPACE!

Anyway, I tried out the demo and was a disappointed that you could only play a match for 90 minutes in it, because I wasn't even half done with the match after 90 minutes.
I ditched it then because the fights weren't as spectacular as I hoped them to be and the game feels kinda slow.
Kurbain
Kurbain
Gunpowder Sniffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaguya Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:59 pm

Kurbain wrote:Anyway, I tried out the demo and was a disappointed that you could only play a match for 90 minutes in it, because I wasn't even half done with the match after 90 minutes.
I ditched it then because the fights weren't as spectacular as I hoped them to be and the game feels kinda slow.
What else do you expect from a demo? ;B

But yeah, it's kinda slow tempo'd, rather similar to Homeworld in that aspect. SoSE essentially is an RTS 4X game, which traditionally have all been turn based, hence the slower tempo.
Kaguya
Kaguya
Gunpowder Sniffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurbain Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:37 pm

To only give me access to parts of the content(which it did), but in exchange for that let me play the demo as long as I want. The Sins of a Solar Empire demo is the first demo I've ever played that doesn't let you play as long as you want.
C'mon, how am I supposed to see if the product is any good when the demo always ends just when I come to the good part?
That's like getting getting a beer for free as a tryout and once you fought yourself through all the foam, they take it away from you.

What is a RTS 4X game? Are you saying it's just 4 times slower?
Kurbain
Kurbain
Gunpowder Sniffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:47 pm

Kurbain wrote:
What is a RTS 4X game? Are you saying it's just 4 times slower?

RTS 4x games focus less on combat and more on economy and expansion. Things like Civilisation, Age Of Empire, Rome Total War, Supreme Commander (to a lesser extent). If you don't like those you aren't going to like Sins.

You don't win through superior unit movement or extremely specific unit usage (like you do in Starcraft for example) you win by managing you economy, expanding, holding more territory and eventually crushing the other players through your ability to produce 5 times as many units as they can.

Also, I'm not exactly sure how spectacular you want you're fights to be. Warping into a planet with a star base defending it with 10 capital ships, 40 cruisers, 200 frigates and 2000 bombers is pretty epic.
Sakaki
Sakaki
AKs, Sex and Chips!

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaguya Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:46 pm

Kurbain wrote:To only give me access to parts of the content(which it did), but in exchange for that let me play the demo as long as I want. The Sins of a Solar Empire demo is the first demo I've ever played that doesn't let you play as long as you want.

C'mon, how am I supposed to see if the product is any good when the demo always ends just when I come to the good part?
That's like getting getting a beer for free as a tryout and once you fought yourself through all the foam, they take it away from you.
How many demos have you played, exactly? Suspect

It's rare for a demo to be over 15-30 minutes long. Most demos just have the tutorial+one early level/map/mission, and you never get to the good part in those :p
Kaguya
Kaguya
Gunpowder Sniffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurbain Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:16 pm

@Kaguya: I haven't played very many RTS demos I must admit, Kaguya, and you are correct that most demos don't last more than 30 minutes, though there are exceptions (played the Trackmania demo for over 2000 hours), but at least they don't end your game in the middle of playing and some of them give you 1 or 2 maps which you can play as long as you like. I wouldn't mind it if the game would only allow me to use half of the ships but for that at least let me play a match as long as I like.

@ Sakaki: Well, the problem about spectacular fights in Sins of a Solar Empire is that the game just doesn't convey the right atmosphere.
If you play Warcraft 3 and roam the forests to find an army and engage them in fast paced melee combat with axes and magic and blood, that's what I call spectacular.
If you play Supreme Commander (1) and have a huge battle with bombers and battleships and rockets and individually calculated projectiles and flamethrowers, that's what I call spectacular.
If you play Sins of a Solar Empire and have a huge battle between lots of slow-turning ships in empty space with not enough sound effects and rather boring laser fire, that's not what I call spectacular.
But maybe that's just the demo. I am always happy to be convinced otherwise.
Kurbain
Kurbain
Gunpowder Sniffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum